Pages

Friday, October 5, 2012

Top Cards from Return to Ravnica

With the new set just released in stores, I wanted to celebrate a little by posting a review of what I feel are some of the top cards from Return to Ravnica; only I'm not skipping to the rares and mythics (because for the most part they're supposed to be the best). Instead, I will be picking what I feel to be the best card from each rarity. For the most part, my decision isn't based on any specific format, but more of the ease at which you could build a deck around it.


Top Common:  Goblin Electromancer

When I first saw this card in the Izzet vs. Golgari decks, I instantly took a liking to him. He's the perfect union between goblin's speed and Talrand's love of spells. The last time Wizards made a u/r goblin, it was more an unholy spawn of a goblin and a merfolk.Without his ability, he's a "bear", putting him just on mana curve. With it, however, I can see wondrous shenanigans happening. He's a list of what his effect reduces:
Normal cmc
Flashback
Overload
Anything with "x" in the cmc
Miracle
Need I say more?



Top Uncommon: Selesnya Charm

Charms have always been a great choice for anyone wanting options, and this one is sure to be worth it no matter what you use it for. First off, there's the boost and trample, which can turn almost anything into a valuable threat or prevent a chump block. Then there's the exile of a big baddie. For two mana, this not only gets rid of the problem, but makes sure it stays gone. Third (and probably my favorite use of it) is the 2/2 knight token with vigilance. If that was a creature he would be a bit ahead of the mana curve. But he's not, it's actually an instant creating him, which basically gives him flash as well. He might end up as just a chump blocker, but he can also be that surprise creature that you need to win.



Top Rare: Abrupt Decay

This choice probably doesn't come as a shock to most of you. There's just something about an uncounterable kill spell that can target any non-land cheap permanent that just screams "use me". There's just so many artifacts, enchantments, creatures, planeswalkers that you can hit with this card; all while Mr. BluePlayer sits there with his counters and weeps. About the only thing I don't like about it is the price tag. $20 a pop means this card is essentially tournament decks only. Hopefully it drops to a more reasonable price once the hype is over, though I doubt it. Still, a girl can dream, can't she? 



 
Top Mythic: Armada Wurm

One 5/5 trample wurm for 6cmc is pretty bad, but what if you got 2 wurms for that price? Now that seems like a good deal. I'm a big fan of creatures that come with a token buddy, since it feels like you get twice the staying power from the spell. Now your opponent has to kill/unsummon both to make it feel like you just wasted that spell. Let's not forget about bouncing him yourself to get that token again, or when he finally dies slapping him onto something like a Mimic Vat and making a big fat wurm factory. His cost is a bit mana heavy, but that seems to be the theme of this set. Still, green has plenty of ways to get the mana you need to drop him and go to town. 




So there you have it! Those are my choices for the top cards from each rarity in Return to Ravnica. Overall there were many excellent candidates for this post, and it was hard to narrow it down to just these four. Please leave a comment telling me if you agree/disagree with any of my choices. Just be civil about it, okay? Also don't forget to Like, tweet, google + it, what have you.

Happy Gaming!
Raging Goblin  



3 comments:

  1. I dont know, electromancer is fair, and the charm is great, but as for the rare, I could easily see gems like cyclonic rift or maybe even a "build around me" rare. Decay is just a overglorified doom blade most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might be that I'm just hyped up on it. Still, what makes it better than a doom blade is the variety of permanents it can target. That's what makes it great. TBH I was having a hard time deciding between Abrupt Decay and a few other rares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good choices of top cards.
    Although, I know what I'm gonna say is pretty obvious, but some cards are really awesome, but not worthy to be put as a "top card".
    My example of an awesome uncommon card is Fencing Ace. The first time I saw it, I was just so happy! I could put him in my soldier or equipment deck, just for the heck of it!

    ReplyDelete